Search the area on Google Maps
For centuries the area was part of the large parish of Llanbadarn, but in 1894 the Civil Parish of Trefeurig was established. This was a long, narrow parish, which extended from Gogerddan as far as Pumlumon, but in 1987 the boundaries were changed. The present parish, or community, only extends as far as 'Y Fuwch a'r Llo' (Cow and Calf), which is on the mountain road from Penrhyn-coch to Ponterwyd.
The area is associated with Dafydd ap Gwilym, one of Europe's greatest medieval poets, and in the eighteenth century it was home to the versatile and talented Lewis Morris, a scholar and poet amongst other things. One of his duties was to safeguard the interests of the Crown in the area, an extremely troublesome task since local landowners were keen to take advantage of its mineral wealth. The mining of lead and silver developed considerably during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, with the result that by 1871 the population of Trefeurig had increased to 1,273. From then on, the industry declined, and by 1961 the population had fallen to 454.
The district of Trefeurig has changed a great deal during the past forty years. With the developments at IBERS (IGER or the former Plant Breeding Station, established in the 1920s) on the site of the former mansion of Gogerddan, and increased employment opportunities in Aberystwyth, the village of Penrhyn-coch has expanded considerably. In 1950 there were only around 150 homes in the whole parish, but there are now some 700 homes, over 450 of which are situated in the village itself, and the population of the community is around 1,500.
This has led to many changes in society, language and culture. Most of the inhabitants are in-comers, either from nearby areas, from other parts of Wales, or from over the border.
We hope that this website will help today?s inhabitants to learn more about the area in which they have chosen to settle, and that it will also be of interest to everyone who has connections with the area.
REMEMBRANCE SUNDAY 2013
REMEMBRANCE SUNDAY 2014
REMEMBRANCE SUNDAY 2016
• Tractor Run 2012
• Tractor Run 2014
• Tractor Run 2016
• Tractor Run 2017
• Eric and Arthur Thomas Tournament 2017