Welsh Congregational Church
• Monumental Inscriptions Salem (2009), M A James
The chapel building is currently for sale (2017)
The trustees of Salem Coedgruffydd Congregational Church have decided to close the cemetery. The trustees request the families of those buried to provide their contact details to them c/o 10 Cae Mawr, Penrhyn-coch, Aberystwyth, SY23 3EJ (or email@example.com).
To reach the chapel follow the road through Penrhyn-coch towards Pen-bont Rhydybeddau and take the first turning to the left after Horeb Chapel.
The history of Salem Coedgruffydd
At the beginning of the nineteenth century the Revd Thomas Phillips, Neuaddlwyd (1772-1842), preached in several homes in north Ceredigion. As a result, the church of Soar, Llanbadarn Fawr, was established on 19 December 1802, and Bethel, Tal-y-bont, in 1804. Azariah Shadrach (1774-1844) became minister of both churches in 1805 and he also preached at some homes in the area, including the farm of Coedgruffydd. He was succeeded at Tal-y-bont by Moses Ellis in 1823, and shortly afterwards the church of Salem was established. The first chapel was built in 1824; it was rebuilt in 1850 and extended in 1864.
There are two war memorials inside the chapel. 308 gravestones were counted in the graveyard in 1994, on which 540 individuals are recorded. The inscriptions have been copied and are published in Beddargraffiadau a Mynegeion, Cyf. XI, Plwyf Llanbadarn Fawr (rhan ogleddol) by E. L. & M. A. James, 1998.
For more details of the history of Salem Coedgruffydd, see the article by David Jenkins in Ceredigion, XII (1994), 35-56.